Memorial Day weekend is the first taste of summer and a great time to get away for a few days. Try getting a little R&R in one of these 15 destinations for the ultimate holiday weekend!
1. Miami, Florida
The biggest and best partying in America on Memorial Day Weekend (and probably every other weekend) can be found in Miami. Every year 250,000 people come together in the area to attend the patriotic and booze-filled festivities. Almost every club in town hosts a special event for Memorial Day, so the possibilities are endless. Here are some suggestions of what you should check out during your strip.
– While partying is probably at the forefront of your mind if you’re spending the holiday in Miami, make sure to pay respect to the veterans by attending the March of Colors.
– Attend some of the Urban Beach Week festivities.
– Stay informed on the biggest and best parties by registering at Eventbrite.
2. Phoenix, Arizona
Phoenix is the perfect resort town, offering over 250 golf courses, wide clean streets, and a variety of places to stay. During Memorial Day Weekend these resorts, spas, hotels, and inns offer many three-day weekend packages that you should definitely consider taking advantage of. Consider the following options when planning your trip.
– Wet n’ Wild Water Park hosts a “Salute to our Heroes” event with a barbeque and fireworks.
– The Arizona Grand is a great place to stay if you’re looking for the ultimate spa experience.
3. Washington, D.C.
It doesn’t get much more patriotic than spending Memorial Day in the nation’s capital. With a parade and plenty of pomp and circumstance filling the streets, there’s no shortage of fun festivities for you and your family to enjoy. Here are a few things you can’t miss out on.
– Attend the special wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
– Watch the National Memorial Day Parade along the National Mall.
– Head over to the Capitol for the National Memorial Day Concert.
4. Palm Springs, California
For guaranteed summer weather, check out Palm Springs. While many other places in the U.S. are just starting to warm up, Palm Springs boasts year-round warm weather and is a wonderful place to spend your Memorial Day weekend. It makes a great base camp for many classic Californian activities. Here are a few suggestions of things to do during your trip.
– Visit the world-famous Joshua Tree National Park.
– Enjoy a meal at the award-winning Copley’s on Palm Canyon.
– South Coast Winery Resort & Spa is a chic and romantic place to rest your head and pamper yourself.
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
If you’re looking to let loose this Memorial Day, maybe Las Vegas is the getaway for you. It’s one of the busiest weekends of the year in Sin City, with resorts becoming daytime clubs and throwing massive pool parties hosted by some of the biggest DJs in the world. Here are some places to check out.
– Hit the slots then chill poolside at Caesar’s Palace – ladies get in free!
– Check out some sets from the top names in the EDM world at XS Las Vegas.
– Most Top 40/non-EDM performers will be found at the pool parties at Liquid Pool, Palms Pool, Rehab Pool, and Tao Beach.
6. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Just a quick flight from Los Angeles, Cabo is the perfect getaway for anyone in the Southern California area. The Mexican resort city is famous for it’s year round warm weather and pristine beaches and because most Americans tend to stick closer to the festivities at home on Memorial Day, it’ll be a bit less crowded this time of year. Keep the following suggestions in mind for a guaranteed good time.
– The Esperanza is the perfect place to stay if you’re looking to splurge a bit. You’ll likely see a celebrity or two here – it’s a Hollywood favorite!
– Hit the links at the award-winning El Dorado Golf and Beach Club.
– Dine on fine Italian at Invita Bistro – the highest rated restaurant in Cabo.
7. San Juan Island, Washington
San Juan Island is one of the most beautiful places in Washington and during Memorial Day Weekend it’s still experiencing the low season of tourism, meaning fewer crowds and cheaper accommodation. Featuring many farm-to-table restaurants, water activities, and art galleries, it’s the perfect place to get a little R&R over the Memorial Day Weekend. Here’s how to make the most of it.
– Stay at the Friday Harbor House – a small inn on a private bluff overlooking the water.
– Rent a kayak or go whale watching. Spend some time out on the water – it’s filled with wildlife.
– Attend the Memorial Day Parade held annually on the holiday at 10am.
8. New York City, New York
New York is an amazing place to visit any time of the year, but Memorial Day Weekend is a particularly exciting time to be in the Big Apple. Parties, parades, and concerts fill the streets, paying tribute to all of the veterans. Many tours and events that typically cost money become free during Memorial Day, making the trip a bit lighter on the wallet. The following are some of the must-do activities.
– Tour the military ships at Pier 92 in Manhattan for free!
– Catch a free performance by the New York Philharmonic.
– Check out the Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade – a staple in the city since 1867.
9. Hilton Head, South Carolina
Hilton Head is a great place for a Memorial Day beach getaway. With the holiday falling just after Spring Break and just before the summer rush, you’ll find less crowds and better deals. Here are some things to check out during your trip.
– The annual arts festival, BRAVO, falls during this time of year – make sure to stop buy and see some of the works.
– Splurge a little and stay at The Sea Pines Resort, one of the top rated in Hilton Head.
– Attend the Hilton Head Choral Society’s “America Sings!” concert.
10. Austin, Texas
The Texan capital enjoys some of the best weather of the year around the Memorial Day holiday, with lots of sun and warm, but not too warm temperatures. The holiday weekend kicks off lake season, providing visitors with the perfect opportunity to check out Lake Travis. You’ll also not want to miss out of the Memorial Day festivities. Here are some suggestions of what to do during your getaway.
– Austin is famous for being the live music capital of the world – check out a concert.
– It’s also known for having some of the best BBQ in America. We recommend the Green Mesquite.
– Go for a stroll along the River Walk for some of the best views of the city.
Many people think Bermuda is an island in the Caribbean, but it’s actually located in the Atlantic, closer to Washington D.C. A flight from JFK in New York will have you on the beach in just two hours, making this a perfect weekend getaway. The weather is just starting to warm up this time of year, while many other island destinations are getting too hot for comfort. Bermuda offers warm temps, soothing breezes, and 21 miles of pink sand beaches. Consider the following when planning your trip here.
– JetBlue offers many affordable package deals from JFK. Think about booking your trip with them.
– Make sure to spend some time soaking up the sun on Horseshoe Bay – the most beautiful beach in Bermuda.
– Take in the impressive beauty of the Bermuda Botanical Gardens.
12. Mackinac Island, Michigan
Picturesque Mackinac Island looks like something out of a storybook. Motorized vehicles are prohibited and the locals get around on horse-drawn carriages and bicycles. This is an excellent chance to step back from the fast-paced modern world and escape to a simpler time for a long weekend. The Memorial Day holiday is the perfect time for this. Here’s what to do while you’re there.
– Stay at the 1887 Grand Hotel. It boasts the longest front porch in the world!
– Take a kayak out on to the bay.
– Check out Arch Rock, a beautiful natural rock formation over the water.
– Visit the art museum for a break from the outdoors.
13. Lake Tahoe, California
Lake Tahoe has long been recognized as an American treasure and year-round paradise and it offers a ton of fun over the Memorial Day weekend. Here are some of the festivities to check out.
– Catch free live music at the West Shore Café.
– The Mike Brown Memorial Splash In is the perfect event for the family, featuring a beach party and barbecue.
– Watch the Parade of Seaplanes.
– Head to Sugar Pine Point State Park for some hiking.
14. Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Jackson Hole is a very popular skiing destination, but it’s also the perfect getaway for those seeking a late-spring outdoor adventure. It’s located close to both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, two of the most scenic parks in America. Here are some suggestions of what to do during your getaway.
– Check out the Jackson Hole Rodeo.
– Rest your head at the Hotel Terra.
– Join in on the annual Old West Days festivities.
15. Chicago, Illinois
The Windy City is just starting to warm up again after the harsh winter and rainy spring and spirits are high during the Memorial Day weekend, making for a fun-filled few days. Here’s what to check out during your stay.
– Watch the Memorial Day Parade, taking place on May 28th, 2016.
– Go back to your Irish roots and check out the Irish Festival, running the last weekend of May.
– Eat some of the best BBQ in America at the Red,White, & BBQ event, offering good eats, live music, and a beer tent.
– Ride a bike along the water for spectacular views of the city and Lake Michigan.
Where do you plan to spend the next Memorial Day weekend? Let us know in the comments below!