The island of Mauritius is a place of exceptional beauty, visited by hundreds of tourists from all over the world. Between magnificent beaches and activities to practice, the island is a continuous discovery that conquers the heart of every guest.
Furthermore, in this enchanted place, there are also animal species of unique beauty. Here is everything you need to know about this little corner of paradise!
Mauritius is located in the southwestern Indian Ocean. Politically, this island is called the Republic of Mauritius. Geographically, this territory is associated with the African continent.
Indeed, to be more precise, Mauritius and some of the surrounding islands, together with the territory of Réunion make up the so-called Mascarene Islands. Mauritius is located not far from the east coast of Madagascar, about 1,100 km, which can be covered in less than 2 hours by plane.
The climate there is tropical with average temperatures ranging between 20 and 28 °. Precipitation in a year is 1720 mm per 167 days. The average sea temperature is close to 27 °. So we can conclude that the best period to go there is from mid-September to mid-November.
In fact, during this period there is a hot and dry climate which is extremely pleasant. Period to avoid: February to April. During these months, rainfall is frequent and it is possible to encounter the phenomenon of cyclones.
Some Tips to Consider
Mauritius is a sunny place, so it’s always a good idea to pack sunscreen and the like to avoid rashes. Besides, it is recommended that you follow these tips to make your visit to Mauritius more worthwhile.
- Bring a variety of beach and snorkel costumes and gear to enjoy the island’s magnificent shores.
- Wear comfortable shoes as it is recommended to tackle the natural trails on the island.
Which island to go to?
Generally, when we talk about Mauritius, you’ll surely think about the beaches that it is composed of. The latter can be defined as an archipelago made up of several islands. The main ones are the following:
- Mauritius: It is considered the largest archipelago. Here is the capital Port Louis, the center of local activities and the main link with foreign countries. The southern part of this island is recommended because the climate is generally mild and pleasant. A variety of services are available that won’t make you regret the Western lifestyle. If you are making a trip to this area for the first time, the advice is to stay on this island.
- Rodrigues: is a small island located north-east of the main town. This territory is very small but has an amazing climate. Its average temperatures often hover around 30 °. Still, in Rodrigues, there are some incredible places, with golden beaches lapped by crystal clear waters. A must for those who love the sea and want to spend a dream vacation.
- Agalega: In reality, it is a territory consisting of two small separate islands: the north island and the south island. The only landing strip and connection method with the rest of the Republic of Mauritius is located on the north island. The Agalega is an uncontaminated place. There are few services, this is because life is very simple and the population still lives in small family villages.
- Cargados Carajos (St. Brandon): Located in the northeast of Mauritius is composed of about 40 islets and emerged shoals, mostly used as fishing stations. It is inhabited by about 60 people, mostly on the islet of Raphael. A small paradise ideal for traveling.
- Port Louis: This is the main city of the island of Mauritius. A colorful and lively place where all your problems will seem to fly away. Living the atmosphere of the capital is truly unique, an experience to live.
- Le Morne Brabant: a peninsula located in the southwestern part of the island. A gigantic mountain full of natural vegetation dominates the peninsula. Just visiting or planning a climb would be wonderful, it is a challenge for the most athletic and a paradise for nature lovers.
- Les 7 cascades: A magical place where it will be possible to check out the 7 different waterfalls. Not getting excited at the sight of such a spectacle of nature is a one-of-a-kind experience.
- Ebony Forest: the nature reserve and heart of the island of Mauritius. A green lung to be explored from top to bottom. Venturing inside is an amazing adventure, a continuous discovery of nature.
- Chamarel, the land of 7 colors: perhaps one of the most unique places on the entire Earth. In this place, it will be possible to witness a geological structure made up of 7 different colors. The different shades make this land look like a daydream.
- Deer Island: a place located in the northern part of the island of Mauritius. It is a beach where the sand is white and the water is transparent.
- Flic en Flac: Another paradise that you will see in the seaside place of this country. Visiting Flic en Flac seems like in a movie location. The sand in this location is soft and clean while the waters that bathe the coast are blue and warm.
- Safari Adventures: It is a wonderful activity not to be missed for those who love animals. A real safari that will bring you in close contact with some dangerous but beautiful specimens, such as the much-feared lions!
- Tamarin Bay: In the town of Tamarin Bay it is possible to swim in the company of dolphins. An indescribable experience, which will make you feel unique and will give unforgettable emotions.
- Belle Mare: In addition to the splendid beach, the Belle Mare area is known for the famous submarine walk activity. You wear a special helmet and dive into the seabed. Adventures that you can do is snorkeling which is worth trying.
Where to sleep?
Hotels, accommodation, and resorts from € 70.00 per room depending on the amenities. Flights start from € 574.81. On the other hand, if you plan to avail of a package of 7 nights the usual price is from € 1,567.00 per person.